Dhira Yoga Teacher Training School Overview
To apply, contact us today.
250 Hour Certification (upon successful completion of the training).
Teacher Training is a year long training beginning either in April or in September of each year. The training is very flexible. Asana practice is according to your own schedule and all classes, as well as courses and even our monthly meetings can be done either In-Studio, Outside (many classes at Dhira are offered outside) or by Livestream Online. SOME do their ENTIRE TRAINING ONLINE — Livestreaming.
Dhira offers an innovative Teacher Training that is personalized, extremely flexible, affordable and which allows participants to focus their efforts on one aspect of training at a time. Krishnamacharya, oft times referred to as “the father of Modern Yoga”, believed that the path of yoga would mean different things for different people and that instruction should be individualized to fit the needs of each practitioner. I believe the same applies to the instruction of training teachers of yoga.
So, the schedule of Dhira’s training will not only be flexible, but personalized, to fit the needs of participants. Similarly, the individual yoga path of each participant will be taken into account by culminating, towards the end of your training, in a deeper exploration of one or another aspect of yoga practice. This individualized approach to training will in turn enrich all participants. Although flexible and personalized, the training will also be comprehensive, challenging, extensive and requires a strong commitment.
• Intensive study and practice of Asanas (postures)
• Sanskrit, basic for yoga (including names of asanas)
• Assisting and modification of poses
• Yogic diet
• Chanting, how to lead, and practice leading, a call and response chant
• The Business of teaching Yoga
• Class sequencing and planning — how to teach a creative, well-rounded, rigorous vinyasa class which can be adapted for all levels
• Observation of yoga classes at studio
• Learning how to assist students in their asana practice and the different kinds of assists you can safely offer. NOW, the assists will be only verbal. There are no hands on assists taught until the pandemic is behind us.
• Practice teaching, learning to teach by actually teaching classes at Dhira. Finding your voice as a teacher.
• Take your yoga practice to a much deeper level!
• A desire to deepen your own practice
• A sincere commitment to a daily yoga practice, (not necessarily asana every day)
• A minimum of 12 months practicing yoga
• A consistent and enthusiastic asana practice
- comparatively low priced to most teacher trainings
- innovative (not a cookie cutter, one size fits all training)
- flexibly scheduled (arrange a schedule that fits into your life, taking courses that serve you as both a practitioner and a teacher, work at a pace that is right for you and your schedule, focus on aspects of training you are most interested in)
- divided into units (or courses, concentrating on individual aspects of training at a time –> asana practice, pranayama and meditation, “finding your voice” teaching asana and practice teaching, assisting, philosophy courses, basic sanskrit study and chanting)
- emphasizing the quality of, and attaining the objective of, the content of each unit, rather than achieving a certain amount of hours studying each unit
- a training which delves deeper into yoga philosophy than most trainings. Training includes three courses: Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras, The Upanishads and the Bhagavad Gita
- individualizing content to a large extent to serve the needs and interests of each participant
- a training which prepares you for “success” as partially defined by you,
- dynamically structured training: allowing you to benefit from delving deeper into your own particular interests, while still receiving a well rounded training. You will also benefit by being exposed to the deeper explorations of the practice made by other trainees.
This teacher training is designed not only for serious practitioners who want to be teachers, but also for serious students desirous of deepening their practice with an inspiring community of yogis.
Students who successfully fulfill the requirements of the YTT Program will receive a 250 Hour Certificate of Completion from the Dhira Yoga Center.
To apply, contact us for an application.